Monday, November 9, 2009

I am a Social Media Junkie

It's been commented on by others - "You're on Facebook ALL the TIME! How do you have time!?" I have a Twitter. I have a MySpace (Although, it's been all but abandoned.) Now I'm a blogger. I've wondered if it's some underlying need to feel important. You know, in case someone cares what it is I'm doing RIGHT NOW (in 140 characters or less!)

I'm not really on Facebook all the time, although I am on my computer for most of the day, and my browser usually has one tab that is, in fact, opened to Facebook. Because, you see, I have kids. And somewhere along the way, in acquiring children, I lost much of my social "life". I don't go out to dinner with friends like I did B.K. (You know what it is. Before Kids, of course!) Remember when your girlfriends would call at 6:30 on Saturday to say that everyone was meeting at Such and So's at 8? And you would think "That gives me enough time to grab a shower, blow out my hair and do my makeup, but I need to find the right outfit NOW!"? Now such a call elicits peals of laughter at our house.

My social life has been replaced with "Our Social Life" - an eclectic mix of birthday parties, just because sleepovers, and family obligations. And maybe that's harder for me than other mom's because I had my kids so early. Very few of my friends are also Mommy's.

So, I have filled in the hole, to some extent, with social media. My children are now old enough to not require constant attention, which means I can jump on the computer at any point, really. I can catch up on my friend's day with her sister while waiting on the water to boil for spaghetti. And she won't be offended that I have to stop in the middle of her story to strain the water off those noodles. I can see what's new in my cousin's on again-off again relationship with "that boy", even across our four-hour time zone difference. I get to catch up with old friends from a church I attended over 10 years ago. It's not ME that's important here- it's me being allowed these brief insights into the everyday lives of my friends. From the ones I was with late into the night last weekend helping them hang shelves and install outlets, to the ones I haven't seen in 15 years, to the ones I've technically never met. These people have all helped shape who I am now. They've helped mold me into the woman, the wife, the mother, the friend that I am today.

So, no. I'm not on Facebook all of the time. I am online a lot. And I do take a part of that time to see what's going on in YOUR world, or at least those parts of it you are willing to share. Sometimes, I say nothing. Sometimes, there will be a funny little comment. Or a heartfelt {{{HUG}}}. Because it's not always easy to drop everything and be there to give you an "in real life" hug. 'Cause, see, I have kids. And, well, do you know how hard it is to find a sitter on short notice?!



5 comments:

  1. My sentiments, exactly! I'm really enjoying getting to know you! You're becoming one of those friends I'm getting to know while my noodles are boiling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it...its electronic people watching! = )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally could have written this myself! Of course, I suppose if I actually could have written this myself I would have...;) So in any case, I liked this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel you. I haven't had much of a REAL social life in forever. What social life WE have involves Cub Scout outings, choir competitions or getting the kids together with their friends. I love it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly! It's helps me quench my social butterfly tendencies when I am stuck with my little munchkins and no adult in sight!

    ReplyDelete