Sunday, November 8, 2009

Alex's Lemonade

Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation
This is not my story.

It's the story of someone else's little girl. And her bravery. And her wisdom beyond her years. And her infectious smile. And her dream that one day there would be a CURE for pediatric cancers.

This is the story of Alexandra Scott. Just Alex. Alex wasn't yet a year old when they told her mom and dad that she had cancer. Neuroblastoma, an aggressive cancer that starts in the adrenal glands. "NB" in the "circle". Alex was four years old when she told her mom and dad that she wanted to hold a lemonade stand, she wanted to raise money and give it to the doctors so they could use it to help find a cure.

Alex did hold that lemonade stand. And that brave little four year old girl raised over $2,000 that day. So the next year, she did it again. And she kept doing it, holding those lemonade stands right there in her front yard, until 2004, when at age eight, cancer took Alex's life. By that time, her little stand idea was already growing, and had raised over $1 million that was donated to research.

Her family took Alex's little stand to a whole new level, and the Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation has now provided over $25 million in research grants, funding over 100 projects at more than 50 institutions nationwide. They also provide an assortment of support resources to families facing cancer diagnosis.

You can learn more about the ALSF by visiting their website, www.AlexsLemonade.org.

My family and I became involved with the ALSF in 2005 after a friend was diagnosed with NB. Since that time, with the help of my coworkers and employer, we have hosted lemonade stands. I offer an Avon for Alex fundraiser regularly. I pin my children and myself with gold ribbons, and spread awareness about childhood cancers.

I believe in the mission of the ALSF. I love knowing that from the smallest ideas, you can do the biggest things. So, my family and me? We'll keep fighting childhood cancer, one cup at a time.

Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation

2 comments:

  1. These things are both heartbreaking and inspiring at once. Thanks for sharing this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for getting the word out about childhood cancer. Thank you for doing all you do to help raise money for research. I hope they find a cure soon, these kids shouldn't have to suffer the way they do, it's just not right! In the words of a friend of mine, who's daughter is a survivor "Cancer Sucks"!!

    ReplyDelete